Save Our Services (11-07-11)


Round up of All-Ireland Irish SOS News from Irish Central:

Cavan

The Minister for Health has apologized to the family of a Ballinmore girl Meadbh McGivern, over confusion that prevented her from flying to a leading London hospital for a liver transplant at the weekend. Minister James Reilly has asked the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) to investigate how emergency transport was not made available to fly the 14-year-old to the King’s College Hospital, and to make recommendations to ensure it never happens again.

Meadhbh’s father Joe McGivern told The Anglo-Celt last Tuesday that he had a brief discussion with Minister Reilly on the phone and some of the minister’s staff were in contact with him subequently about the how the inquiry will proceed. The family have been invited to give their input into that inquiry.

“The minister said he would make sure this would not happen again and measures would be put in place to ensure that,” said Mr Givern.

He revealed that Meadhbh was still distraught and can’t believe she was so close to receiving the essential operation, only to have her hopes cruelly dashed.

“You have to forget these things and move forward, but they are hard to forget”, said Joe.

He revealed that the Transplant Team from Kings College Hospital in London rang last Monday and they were talking to his wife Assumpta. “They said the young healthy liver was just the perfect match – but now at least it has been successfully transplanted into another person and they are currently doing well – at least their misfortune has been corrected by ours”.

“I have no doubt that HIQA will get to the bottom of the matter – there are a lot of questions there to be answered”, said Joe McGivney.

He said the Coast Guard or the Air Corps were not to blame.

“They offered the jet – they said we’ll pick them up in Sligo and bring them to London – we will have them there by 1am – and somebody turned around and said no – one thing I will find out is, who that person was”.
(Source: The Anglo Celt)

Clare

The Department of Education and Skills has been paying an estimated €1,800 a week to transport two West Clare teenagers with special needs by taxi to a school in Ennis because of the lack of a suitable educational facility in their locality.

Isabelle Sequin, 14, who has Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and epilepsy, up to the recent end of term had been completing a round trip of 130km three days a week, while her twin sister, Clara attended St Joseph’s Community College, Kilkee.

During the school year, Isabelle stays in an Enable Ireland house on Wednesday nights to try and reduce the impact on her condition of traveling from Carrigaholt to St Clare’s in Ennis. The same taxi collects a second pupil with ASD from Moyasta, while it is understood yet another pupil is picked up along the way to Ennis.Isabelle’s father, Pat Gavin has hit out at the cost of transporting students from West Clare to Ennis and feels this money would be far better spent in providing a fully resourced special needs unit in Kilkee, which would mean teenagers with special needs would have the option of attending a local secondary school.

A Department of Education spokesman said in the context of post-primary provision in County Clare, the National Council for Special Education has had further discussions with a post-primary school with a view to establishing a special class and the local special needs organizer in the area will continue to progress the issue. However, he said, “A special class will not be established before September 2011”.St Joseph’s Community College, Kilkee principal, Theresa O’Donnellan said the Department of Education has not been in touch with her regarding the provision of a special needs unit in Kilkee.

“The SENO has engaged with us in Kilkee regarding the possibility of setting up a special needs unit in Kilkee,” she said.
(Source: The Clare Champion)

Galway

A leading housing charity has said it is stunned by new figures which show that there are almost 19,000 houses lying empty across the county with an estimated current market value of well over €3.3 billion.

Housing charity Threshold say they are shocked that there are 15,113 empty houses in County Galway and 3,839 in the city at a time when there is such pressing needed for decent quality accommodation.

Latest census figures have shown a drop in 3.6 per cent in the number of vacant dwellings in the city area but a hike of 11.3 per cent in the number of empty houses in the rest of the county.

This means that one house in every nine in Co. Galway is lying empty, at a time when there is no money for the County Council or City Council to build new local authority homes.

House prices have continued to free-fall, with figures released by Ireland’s largest property website, daft.ie, showing a fall of 5.6 per cent in the second quarter of this year.

The average price of a new house in Galway city in the final quarter of last year was €215,000, while in the rest of the county asking prices averaged at €165,000, a reduction of €143,000 on the figure at the peak of the boom.

Taking these figures as rough guidelines, this means that there is now just under €3,320,000,000 worth of vacant houses and apartments in the entire county.
(Source: GalwayBay Fm)

Kildare

The latest unemployment statistics show yet another shocking rise in joblessness throughout Co Kildare.

Mirroring the nationwide picture, the number of those signing on at the county’s three centres, in Newbridge, Athy and Maynooth, rose from 18,151 last month to 19,011 at the end of June. The increase, announced by the Central Statistics Office in the last few days, would appear to dash hopes of any real and tangible economic recovery.

Nationally, the unemployment total has now reached 428,152 – a figure which is running dangerously close to half a million. It amounts to 14.2% of the potential working population being unemployed.

The national figures also indicate that the number of young people aged under 25 who are signing on has increased by almost 10,000, while more than 40% of the total number of jobless people have now been unemployed for a year or more, categorising them as long-term unemployed.

The youth unemployment figure is especially disturbing, given that the reality is possibly worse than the official picture. This is because many young people under the age of 25, who still live at home with their parents, don’t qualify for any benefits on foot of family means testing.

The latest figures show that 9,387 were queuing up to sign on in Newbridge during the month of June, while 2,765 were registered as unemployed at the Athy office and 5,999 in Maynooth.
(Source: The Kildare Nationalist)

Longford

Over two hundred people gathered on the bridge at Tarmonbarry last Friday, to register their protest at the closure of the A&E services in Roscommon Hospital. In what was a real show of strength, hundreds of protestors gathered at every bridge into Roscommon for two hours, from 5pm to 7pm, including the bridges at Rooskey and Lanesboro.

In Tarmonbarry, there was a strong media presence with local media outlets joined by RTE and TG4. There was a Garda presence also, although the protests passed off peacefully with no disruption to motorists.

Passing motorists blew their horns in support of the protestors as they passed. Organisers said they were happy with the turnout for each of the protest which they said, indicated the depth of feeling about the reduction in services at Roscommon.
(Source: Longford Leader)

Roscommon

Unions at Roscommon County Hospital have agreed to operate a new urgent care centre to replace the emergency department.

The announcement was made after they met with Health Service Executive management last week.
The planned urgent care unit and medical assessment unit will replace the facility from 8am-8pm.

For the first month, the urgent care centre will operate for 24-hours a day, staffed by junior hospital doctors and supervised by an emergency consultant from Galway.

This move will depend on getting GPs organized to see if they can provide this service.

After meeting with HSE management the IMPACT trade union has said that specific commitments had been given on the investment needed for daytime surgery at the hospital.

The medical assessment unit proposed for Monday is not going ahead in the original format that was scheduled.

Earlier, The INMO industrial relations officer Noreen Muldoon had said that there were fundamental issues with regard to safety.

Separately, a representative group for paramedics in the west said the proposals by the HSE for the transport of patients from Co Roscommon to acute general hospitals in Galway, Sligo and Mayo were unacceptable.
(Source: RTE News)

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Accountability, Action Stations, Bankers' Bailout, Budget, Debt Default/Restructuring, ECB/IMF, Economy, Save Our Services, Social Services, Unions and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Save Our Services (11-07-11)

  1. Pingback: Save Our Services (05-07-11) | rebel-alliance.org

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s